Saturday, October 03, 2009

Tails from Positano

P1010778

I often switch terraces to compare views, to take a stroll while waiting for the pasta pot to boil or simply to spy on my kids on the beach. Sometimes I even feel like waxing lyrical about the poetry of the Positano coast streaming before my eyes.

But every time, before I make myself comfortable on the low wall, I take a peek over its ledge to its rocky side to ascertain that I am the only visible presence in nature at that moment, and then up above my head to check that I’ve not suddenly become part of someone else’s view.

A rustle in the grape vines to my side doesn’t alarm me too much as lizards are a dime a dozen in these parts.

A light thump likewise doesn’t attract my attention.

I catch the movement of a lizard in the corner of my eye.

It seems to have a twig protruding from it.

P1010108

But this little creature was wearing a second tail on top of it’s first.

P1010110

A bit like a flagpole mast on the back of a bike.

It quite unabashedly sunned itself until a movement from my dog caused it to launch itself back among the grape vine leaves.

Of course the first thing an Italian local said when I showed them the photo was ‘Porta Fortuna!’ Sure, along with dog and bird droppings. Good Luck indeed.

PS. Did you notice the ET. toes?

18 comments:

Lucia said...

More good luck!!!! That's wonderful. Your pics are spectacular. I love the blues!
Right now everything here is a neon green, reds, brownish reds and burnt oranges! I sure will miss the blues however!

Cathi said...

Interesting lizard! Wonderful post and photos! Have a happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

They say it's good luck becaus it is SO rare.
dollyna

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What wonderful shots of the lizard. Never seen one with 2 tails before!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Wow never seen a lizard like that before!!

How great that you can "switch" terraces, your views are fantastic...i love your photos! thanks for sharing :-) look forward to see more.

Gil said...

You have a great eye for pictures! Nice photo.

Laura said...

Ciao Scintilla! Wow! I've never seen a lizard like that. I wonder if he knew he was special? :-) I like that he brings good luck!

Delwyn said...

Hi Scintilla

what a bizarre little critter...and those long toes...very ET...

Happy days

qualcosa di bello said...

that dude is one crazy looking lizard! my sons are very impressed. (love the new header, btw)

South of Rome said...

That is too funny! Perhaps an early halloween get up??

Rowena said...

That is just the coolest thing! Fantastic that you took the shot....now just wait until that image makes the internet rounds. Or ends up on the front page of a supermarket tabloid.

TWO-TAILED REPTILE INVADES ITALY!

The Food Hunter said...

How cool is that!

Monika said...

Switching from terrace to terrace to see THAT view every day - you lucky girl!

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

Freaky looking lizard!

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Hi there....

I'm a friend of Anne (from Oxfordshire) and Barbara's (Home in France) I love the pics you have up of Positano! I'm going to Cinque Terra, Lucca and Pisa in a little is than a month from now! I can't wait! Have you ever been there? Love your blog!
Leesa

Chef Chuck said...

Ciao Scintilla, Wonderful historic views !! Love your writing!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

fantastic photos.


I love how the "interesting" looking lizard is considered good luck.

Madeline said...

Love the photos! Amazing how the little lizard grew 2 tails!!